Cambridge Audio Azur 851A
Flagship Integrated class XD amplifier
The ultimate in amplification and built without compromise, the 851 is our finest integrated amplifier. It possesses incredible power, finesse and astonishingly low distortion. In its design we assessed every component for sonic excellence and revised, reviewed and optimised the signal path for minimal distortion. Thousands of hours were spent testing and tweaking, the result is an amplifier like you’ve never heard before.
Nothing prepares you for the sound quality of our 851A. Rated at 120 Watts per channel and built with a fastidious attention to detail, it presents your music with astounding depth and incredible clarity. The precision volume control provides remarkable stereo separation, while the overall effect is to give your music collection a new lease of life.
We built the 851A without sonic compromise, and that’s true of the connectivity too. Nine RCA inputs cater for regular analogue inputs, while for high end components there are two sets of balanced XLR inputs. We’ve added a pre-out for connecting to a subwoofer or power amp, while two sets of speaker terminals allow for bi-wiring or running additional speakers in a second location. Finally, Control Bus inputs allow the linking of compatible Cambridge Audio products for easy control from one remote.
CLASS XD + TWO TRANSFORMERS
Rather than use Class A or Class AB amplifier designs, we developed a novel and unique new design called Class XD, which combines the sonic purity of Class A and the efficiency of Class AB for the best possible result.
- Power output120W RMS into 8 Ohms 200W RMS into 4 Ohms
- THD (unweighted)< 0.001% 1 kHz at 80% of rated power 0.01% 20 Hz – 20 kHz at 80% of rated power
- Audio inputs2 x balanced XLR
8 x RCA inputs
- Audio outputsPreamp output Record output
- Frequency response10 Hz – 50 kHz +/- 1 dB
- S/N ratio (ref 1w)> 93 dB (ref 1W/8 Ohm)
- Input impedanceInputs 1 and 2 (balanced) 20 kOhm
Inputs 1-7 unbalanced 20 kOhm Rec Input 20 kOhm
- Power amp damping factor> 110 at 1 kHz
- Max. power consumption800W
- Min. power consumptionActive (no signal) 70W
- Standby power consumptionStandby <0.5W
- Tone controlShelving type Max bass boost/cut +/- 10 dB at 10 Hz Max treble boost/cut +/- 7.5 dB at 20 kHz
- ColourSilver or black
- Dimensions (WxHxD)430 x 115 x 385mm (16.9 x 4.5 x 15.2”)
- Weight15.0Kg (33lbs)
The primary toroidal transformer provides unrestricted power to the dual mono amplification blocks. It’s a true audiophile transformer that will operate without distortion and with no buzz, interference or hum. While a second, smaller toroidal transformer takes care of pre-amplification processes. For more information on toroidal transformers and why we use them view the videos below.