Conductors: Solid Perfect-Surface Copper+ (PSC+) and Perfect-Surface Copper (PSC)
Uncompressed High-Current Transfer
Ground Noise Dissipation Technology (US Patent #9,373,439)
Zero Characteristic Impedance (50Hz – 1MHz)
72VDC Dielectric Bias System (US Patent #7,126,055)
Directionally Controlled Conductors
Alternative current (AC) power is far from perfect. This technology, with over a century of history, was never designed to meet the stringent standards of today’s high-resolution audiovisual equipment. Power supply noise exists in the electrical grid and is further exacerbated by induced radiofrequency noise (captured by the power cord) coupled with the power supplies of devices and the circuit ground. This creates distortion and signal losses at low levels through a “masking effect.” Additionally, power amplifiers may require significant transient current reserves to allow their power supply to react and stabilize during highly dynamic audio passages. Most power cords and power regenerator-conditioners, while useful to some extent, simply fall short.
Power amplifiers pose a real challenge to any AC power source, as transient current requirements (though of short duration) can be many times higher than the average current consumption (effective). Power amplifiers also differ from all other devices in that their current consumption is dynamic, not constant, as it evolves with the volume and content of the audio signal. While many power cords may have low resistance to direct current to partially meet this requirement, the characteristic impedance of the power cable plays an equally important role in ensuring uncompromised performance. Many high-end power cords limit or compress audio transients because their characteristic impedance restricts transient currents.
Highly Pure Conductors: The carefully refined combination of Solid Perfect-Surface Copper (PSC) and extremely pure Perfect-Surface Copper+ (PSC+) conductors avoids interaction between strands, a significant source of fatiguing transient intermodulation distortion during listening. Remarkably smooth and pure, PSC+ copper eliminates harshness in sound and significantly improves clarity compared to OFHC, OCC, 8N, and other high-quality coppers. The extreme purity of PSC+ copper further reduces distortion caused by grain boundaries inherent in all metal conductors.
Uncompressed High-Current Transfer: With a current capacity of 20A RMS @ 125V, 50/60Hz (16A RMS @ 220-240V, 50/60Hz), the Tornado High-Current cord withstands transient current spikes many times higher than its nominal effective current (average). This makes the Tornado High-Current cord perfectly suited for a wide range of AC power conditioners, power regenerators, isolation transformers, and battery backup power systems, as well as any power amplifier, amplified subwoofer, powered speaker, amplified receiver, or integrated amplifier.
Highly Pure Conductors:
- The carefully refined combination of Solid Perfect-Surface Copper (PSC) and extremely pure Perfect-Surface Copper+ (PSC+) conductors avoids interaction between strands, a significant source of fatiguing transient intermodulation distortion during listening.
- PSC+ copper eliminates the harshness in sound and greatly improves clarity compared to higher-quality coppers such as OFHC, OCC, 8N, and others.
RF/ND-Tech (Patented Radiofrequency Background Noise Dissipation):
- US Patent #8,988,168. AC ground wires provide protection against electrical short circuits but also act as an antenna, susceptible to induced radiofrequency (RF) noise. AudioQuest’s patented RF/ND technology significantly reduces this distortion, allowing unprecedented noise dissipation across a wide radiofrequency bandwidth. The unique circuit topology uses a common-mode phase suppression network and exclusive dielectric materials for additional linear differential filtering.
Uncompressed High-Current Transfer – “Tornado”:
- With a current capacity of 20 amps RMS @ 125VAC 50/60Hz (16 amps RMS @ 220-240VA 50/60Hz), the “Tornado/High (Variable) Current” can withstand transient current spikes several times higher than its continuous RMS value. Perfectly suited for a variety of equipment such as AC conditioners, current regenerators, AC isolation transformers, battery backup devices, power amplifiers, powered subwoofers, amplified speakers, powered receivers, or integrated amplifiers.
72VDC Dielectric Bias System (DBS) with Level-X RF Trap:
- All insulation is also a dielectric whose electrical properties affect signal integrity. AudioQuest’s multi-patented DBS system creates a strong and stable electrostatic field that saturates and polarizes the insulation molecules, minimizing nonlinear delays for a clearer sound.
- The Level-X RF trap pulls RF noise out of the cable, preventing RF interference in electronics. The DBS pack batteries have a lifespan of approximately 10 years, verifiable through the test button.
- All audio cables are directional. The correct orientation is determined by listening to each batch of metal conductors.
- The direction of digital audio signal conductors is controlled in AudioQuest’s HDMI cables, with clearly visible arrows on the connectors to ensure optimal sound quality.